Sunday, December 20, 2009

London je taime et al

So havn't blogged in ages. clearly seeing as my last post was from france.

Since then, I have spent close to 2 weeks in London and I've fallen in love.

2002 saw the film 'Paris Je T'aime' constucted under the guidance of a plethora of big name and obscure directors, each with their own segments. So pretty much 11 or 12 short films in one centralising the city of Paris and how 'love' both metephorically and literally can be obtained emotionally.

2010 sees a similar movie being released- New York, I love you. Same principles, same style but different city. Prior to my travels i would have been like every typical individual around the globe and agreed with such a city and decision to make the second film in this 'series' in New York, but after visiting London for the second time; it really is the best city.

Every single day was enjoyable amid varying weather (from bright spells to actual snow) and you could literally stroll around all day and not be bored. Saw all the obvious sights- big ben, london eye, madame tussauds etc and also all the famous areas like soho and picadilly. Picadilly was my favourite area as it had everything- excellent shops, good cafes and alot of people.

Supermarkets in itself were an impressive feat- they were HUGE and contained everything foodwise, all chopped up, and aisles dedicated to premade foods and meals. Also sushi was an abundance in the supermarkets. Just a note, London's japanese food is so much better than Australia. Much.

Clothing wise, I reckon London beats Paris hands down- alot better prices and better ranges especially Topman; they better open one in Melbourne!!!

I am definately going to go back to London but maybe in the Summer. And definately with my mum as she studied there and would be amazing to travel there with her to explore new areas and visit her university etc. .... and use her purse ;).... just kidding.

Now I am in Amsterdam Netherlands and wow. It is VERY different to any other city i've travelled to. Firstly it was in the negatives weather wise- like -4 or something? I literally had my scarf in my mouth. And some VERY interesting views and window displays.... the 200 metre walk to our hotel involved passing several coffee shops and some 'attractive' ladies in the windows... actually quite disturbing!

Anyway the weather here is unbearable so predominantly spending time in the hotel and small walks around dam square. Hopefully tomorrow can explore Anne Frank huis which will be poignant to say the least; the telemovie made of her ordeal still harrows me since I watched it in 2003.

Oh, best thing about the hotel- our rooms has 'Nespresso' machines you know, those machines that George Clooney endorses. It is massive here in Europe and just starting out in Australia and i must say- BEST COFFEE EVER. I am 100% buying one as soon as I'm back in melbourne it is THAT good, better than any coffee shops.

and also, i had an ice cream in the snow today. Must be the dumbest person here in Amsterdam ;)

Hope everyone is well

xx

1 comment:

  1. Loving the entries Arman! I wanna go London right now! You better be eating heaps?

    ReplyDelete